Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Subordinate Clauses: Time Clause

Time clauses are used to indicate the time that an event in the main clause takes place.


The time conjunctions are:
  • before
  • after
  • while
  • when
  • since (from the time in the past when)
  • as soon as (the moment that)
  • by the time (the moment that)
  • whenever (every time that)
  • till, until (up to the time or point that)
  • by (during)

Examples:
  • I'll do it when I come back home.
  • Whenever you need my car you can take it.
  • Don't stand up till (until) I tell you.
  • I have wanted to be a pilot since I was a child.
  • I will phone you as soon as he arrives.
  • We'll deliver the goods as soon as we can.
  • While we are cutting the grass you'll pick the apples.      
  • By the time you get there, the shop will be closed.
  • She's planning to get married next year, by which time she hopes to have a new job.

Some observations::
  1. Time clauses can come at the beginning or end of sentences.
  2. Use a comma only when the time clause begins the sentence.
  3. The verb in the main clause is often in the future.
  4. Don’t use will or be going to in the future time clause.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...