Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Subordinate Clauses: Concessive Clause

The "concessive clause" is used to express a event that despite it happens what is indicated in the main clause.

The concessive conjunctions are:
  • although
  • even though (even if)
  • while

Examples:
  • I think his name is John, although I'm not completely sure about that.
  • While I am willing to help, I do not have much time available.
  • I'm going to the party even though (even if) it rains.

Some observations:
1) "In spite of" and " despite" have similar meaning to "although" or "even though". But they don't introduce clauses. They are only followed by nouns or gerunds (verb+ing.).
  • Despite (in spite of) all his money, he refused to buy a new car.
  • Despite (in spite of) having enough money, he refused to buy a new car.
2) "Though" and "however" don't introduce a dependent clause, but they are inclused in a independent clause:
  • The cottage isn't very nice. I like the garden though.
  • The cottage isn't very nice. However, I like the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...